Welcome to the Light Forum, we hope you feel safe and welcome here. We’ve put together some information to explain what you can expect from the Forum volunteers and your fellow Forum users, and how to use the Forum safely and appropriately.
Light Forum users agree to:
- Treat others the way we would like to be treated
- Respect each other’s privacy and keep conversations within the Light Forum community
- Let the Forum Volunteers know if we see something that worries us by reporting a post
- Use the community safely, reach out for further support if you think you might need it
- Understand that you need to seek out more urgent help if you need it from your mental health team, the Samaritans (116 123 / firstname.lastname@example.org), call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department.
Light Forum users agree not to:
- Post anything which is racist, homophobic, sexist or in any other way discriminatory – we are made up of people of all ethnicities, backgrounds, faiths/no-faith, abilities, sexualities, gender identities – please respect one another’s feelings and opinions
- Make personal attacks or harass other Forum users
- Tell people what to do or give ‘expert’ advice
- Share personal contact details (this includes links to Facebook or other social media profiles)
- Use swearing or offensive language
- Post or share images about things that could be upsetting for others, for example details of self-harm, or suicide plans
- Use the Forum to promote commercial services.
The Light Forum Volunteers will:
- Respect your confidentiality (unless we have a legal obligation to do so, e.g. if there is a safeguarding risk, in which case we will act in accordance with English law and policy). What you share here is between you and the other Forum users
- Where possible, read all posts and comments, and remove anything which breaks the Forum rules or leaves any Forum users feeling unsafe. We may give you feedback to help you post safely
- Respond to all your questions or concerns and do our best to help
- Do our best to resolve any technical problems as quickly as possible.
The Light Forum Volunteers won’t:
- Pass on your details or use your information for anything else unless we have your permission
- Intrude on your conversations with other Forum users – we may join in from time to time if appropriate, but this is your space to talk about what’s on your mind
- Be able to respond to messages 24/7, when we’re not moderating. We aim to monitor the Forum daily but cannot always respond immediately.
Taking care of yourself
We hope that you can use the Forum to reach out to the other Forum users for peer support and guidance. But it’s also important to think about whether you might need more urgent support or to talk to someone face to face.
- Try not to take on too much – extend the same kindness to yourself as to other Forum users
- Take breaks – talking online can be overwhelming, try not to feel under pressure to respond if you need time
- Think about what you’re comfortable sharing – Forum users like hearing how you’re doing, but sharing too much can leave you feeling vulnerable
- Urgent support – if you’re not feeling safe or it’s all too much, contact your mental health team, the Samaritans (116 123 / email@example.com), call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department
- If you read anything that makes you feel worried or unsafe, please email our team of trained volunteers firstname.lastname@example.org